|Posted on February 21, 2020 at 10:20 PM|
1. Remain Calm. You cannot be helpful, if you too, are freaking out.
2. Acknowledge their feelings. Be present to the fact of how difficult it must be for your loved one to admit they want to end their life.
3. Inquire. Ask how, when and where they intend to complete the act.
4. Secure. Call for assistance & secure the area of any identified or potential items that can be used for self-harm.
5. Cope. Engage your loved one in activities or conversations that will distract from or disrupt self-harming thoughts.
6. Get Help. Connect with a therapist, Emergency Hospital Staff or Law Enforcement if you are unable to keep your loved one safe.